According to the legend, Mariovo region received its name after the beautiful princess Maria, which in order to save her principality, agreed to become the Sultan’s wife. Surrounded by high mountains, Mariovo is characteristic for its history, ethnology, traditions and culture. This Jeep excursion is a great opportunity to come in touch with the rich cultural and natural heritage of the least populated region in Macedonia.
- Type of tour: Jeep excursion / Jeep safari
- Pick up/drop of location: Bitola
- Difficulty: Easy, recommended for everyone
- Locations: Villages – Makovo, Rapesh, Staravina, Gradeshnica, Zovich
- Dates: On demand / all year
- Duration:~ 8-10 hours
- Altitudes: Bitola 615 m, Gradeshnica 800 m, Zovik 680 m
The departure is at 9:00 o’clock from previously agreed location in Bitola, followed by a tourist ride through the villages Logovardi, Novaci, Makovo and Rapesh in duration of about 40 minutes. A short break is planned at a panoramic location near Rapesh village, where visitors will have the opportunity to photograph the beautiful landscapes surrounding this village. Then we continue through the canyon of Crna River to the monastery of St. Athanasius near village Staravina. This monastery is one of the few locations where you can have the whole Mariovo region at the palm of your hand. Excellent panoramic location, so don’t forget to bring your camera. The church St. Demetrius (16th century), monastery St. Ilija and the remains of the Roman fort Pesta near village Gradeshnitsa are next stops and final stop is Zovich village with the famous Stone Bridge.
The excursion ends at 16:00, when we get back to Bitola (about 1 hour drive).
*Upon request – traditional lunch at the Ethno House in village Zovik can be organized.
- Transport with 4 x 4 terrain vehicle
- Organization and realization of the trip
- travel insurance
- other individual costs
• Pregnant women and guests who have problems with neck, back, other health problems or allergies are advised to consult a doctor regarding their participation in jeep excursions.
• If you are allergic or if you need some medication, keep in mind that all jeep tours are on locations outside of urban areas.
• Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Pick up / Drop off location
• The excursions start/end from a previously agreed location in Bitola city (hotel, parking, etc.)
Recommended clothing and footwear and equipment:
• Proper clothing and footwear. In some locations there is a high grass, insects and everything else that nature can offer. If you plan short walks in nature, it is necessary to wear appropriate clothing.
• Sunglasses with UV filter
• Sun Protection Cream (recommended above SPF 30)
• Insect repellent
• Digital Camera
• Snacks/Food/ beverages – The excursion does not include food and drinks. On some locations there is drinkable spring water, but there is no place where you can buy food. It is recommended that each participant carries with him sufficient amount of food for his daily needs.
Food and beverages
• Not included
• Please keep the environment clean. Any environmental pollution is strictly forbidden and punishable by law.
Changes to the program and cancellation of the excursion
- The organizer has the right to amend the program in case of Force majeure or extraordinary circumstances that he could not foresee, avoid or remove.
- If it has previously been paid for the excursion, the travel participant has the right to refund the amount for unrealized services or an appropriate replacement.
- The organizer is obliged to inform the participant in due time about any changes.