Location: Dobro Pole – Macedonian/ Greek Border
Dobro Pole (Добро Поле) is a locality on Nidze Mountain where on September 15, 1918 the breakthrough on the Macedonian Front occurred. The First World War in some way meant a culmination of the desperate situation in Macedonia, which from the end of the XIX century was constantly in a state of internal unrest and against its will, was involved in all military conflicts that took place in the Balkans. Large percentage of the population died from hunger, contagious diseases and military actions especially in Mariovo region, where also many of the important battles during WW1 occurred.
The breakthrough of the Macedonian Front at Dobro Pole is event of great importance in the historiography of the First World War. Fifteen days after the battle (September 30, 1918) Bulgaria signed the truce followed by Austria-Hungary (November 4, 1918) and Germany on November 11, 1918.
On September 15, 1938, Dobro Pole was visited by a delegation from France, which placed a monument (non-existent today) at the site which today is known as the “Bronze Hand”. Also it is interesting to mention that in Paris city there is a street named Rue Du Dobro Pol (Dobro Pole street), which is also a proof for the importance of this location.
The one-day jeep excursion on September 15, 2018 is held in order to mark the importance of this date and location, as well as for greater promotion of the Mariovo region in the area of memorial tourism.
Organizer of the event is: The Association for Exploration and Travel OFF ROAD MACEDONIA – Bitola
Bitola (576 m), Cerova Poljana (1092 m), Dobro Pole (1736 m)
Type of road:
- Bitola – Crna Reka (Rapesh Bridge) – 40 km asphalt road (regional)
- Crna Reka (Rapesh Bridge) – Staravina village – 10 km (dirt road)
- Staravina village – Dobro Pole – 22 km (forest dirt road appropriate only for 4х4 vehicles)
- Hiking (~ 300 m) trough a forest road up to the location “Bronze Hand” (External link to interactive 360* video from the mountain track…)
More information will be published soon.
I want to participate
- Due to the specific terrain the number of participants is limited.
- Possibility for participation of people who do not own an 4×4 vehicle
- More information will be published soon.