Polog monastery – St. George
The Polog monastery dedicated to St. George is located on the slopes of Mount Viseshnica, next to the artificial lake Tikves, on the border between the Tikves and Mariovo regions, Macedonia. The monastery name originates from the nearby village of Polog, which ceased to exist with the creation of the Tikvesh Lake (1964 – 1968).
The monastery church “St. George” is the only object in Macedonia built as a church-mausoleum, in which Jovan Dragushin (Јован Драгушин) was buried in a pre-selected place for that purpose. The church was built in the first half of the 14th century, more precisely before 1340 by his mother despot Maria.
Immediately after the construction of the church, the interior was fresco painted in the period between 1343 – 1345. The interior of the church is completely frescoed with scenes and compositions from the life of the Lord Jesus Christ, with saints represented in full height, with compositions from the Great Holidays, with a great sense of adaptation to architecture and an iconographic program that is common for small Byzantine churches , noting the character of the temple.
Today the monastery is active and recently begun renovation of the lodgings.
The monastery is most visited during the holidays of St. George (May 6th) and during the celebration of the monastery dedicated to the Assumption of St. Mary (August 28th).
How to get to the Monastery
The monastery can be reached only by waterway along the Lake Tikvesh. Near the village of Resava, on the shore of the lake, there are private boats that offer transport to the Monastery. The journey takes about an hour and a half in one direction.