Saint George church
The church of St. George in the village of Staro Nagoričane was built on the remains of an older temple, which according to one legend was built by the Byzantine emperor Romanos IV Diogenes (Roman IV Diogen) (1067-1071).
From the inscribed inscription above the western gate of the church, it can be seen that today’s church was restored by the Serbian king Stefan II Milutin in 1313.
Monastery celebration – May 6 – St. George’s Day (Ѓурѓовден)
Church St. George is a three-nave, five-dome structure in the form of an inscribed cross with an extension towards the east and west.
The names of the painters, Evtihie (Евтихие) and Mihailo (Михаило) can be seen on the southwestern pillar and on the north wall, in the middle of the church. They are also authors of the fresco painting of the Ohrid church Holy Mary Perybleptos (St. Clement) and the monastery St. Nikita in Skopska Crna Gora.
A special rarity is the iconostasis made of stone pillars, ornamented architrave and parapet plates. To the left and right of the royal doors, St. George, the patron of the church and Holy Mary Pelagonitisa (Богородица Пелагонитиса) are painted.
Interesting: In the southwest wall of the monastery church after the Battle of Velbuzd, upon the order of King Milutin, Bulgarian Emperor Mihailo III Shishman (1322-1330) was buried.